Monday, August 26, 2013

What a Day!





 First Day Of School! 
I have a 1st grader, a 3rd grader, and a 5th grader!!!  We technically started in July so right now we have 4 weeks behind us... but, just like public schools around here, we decided to start again officially today!

My baby Natalie is now in 1st grade.  She is actually about 3/4 of the way through her 1st grade curriculum but we are still counting her as a first grader, especially since she doesn't turn 6 until this Thursday (August 29th).  I love her and am so excited to see her learn this year.  As I am sitting here typing this she is on the other computer learning (speaking) Spanish!

My Samara is now in 3rd Grade!  She turned 8 on August 15th.  She is so motivated to do her very best in everything that she does.  I love her and am so excited to see her learn this year.  As I'm sitting her she's doing a word search of, what I think, are pretty hard words for a 3rd grader.

My Alyssa is now in 5th grade!  Her laugh is so contagious!  I love her and am excited to see her learn this year.  As I'm sitting her she's logging her book, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix which has 870 pages in it!  She is an avid reader!!





My goofy girls!  They are such goof balls!  I love that they can have fun but they are serious and focused when they need to be... well, a lot of the time.  I am honored to be their mother and teacher!


For school this year we are using the Core Curriculum from My Father's World called Creation to the Greeks.  This includes our Bible/History/Geography, Science, Vocabulary, Art and Music.  For English we are doing Bob Jones workbooks and for Writing we are using Writing Strands.  Then comes Math, we will be using Math U See and Rapid Recall for memorization.  They girls will also be learning Spanish from the Rosetta Stone series.  (I have been informed by Samara that she would rather take French so I may have to invest in that next year.  It will be good for our Haitian girls to learn French as well.)  For Spelling we will be using Spelling Power.  We have added another more in depth Science to our line up called Apologia:  Exploring Creation with Zoology 1:  Flying Creatures.  For phonics we will continue to use Explode the Code.  We will have a full schedule but not much outside of the home since we will hopefully be adding to more members to our family sometime in the near future.  (If you didn't know we are in the process of adopting the two beautiful girls to the right (Guerline, age 12 and Fafane, age 13) from Haiti.)

So it kind of goes like this:
Bible/History/Geography, Science, Vocabulary, Art and Music:  My Father's World, Creation to the Greeks
 English:  Bob Jones workbooks
Writing:  Writing Strands
Math:  Math U See and Rapid Recall
Spanish:  Rosetta Stone
Spelling:  Spelling Power
Science:  Apologia:  Exploring Creation with Zoology 1:  Flying Creatures.
Phonics:  Explode the Code

For Bible/History/Geography we will be learning about some of the Jewish feasts, learn some Old Testament stories in depth, and study history of other civilizations such as Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, and Greece.  

For Science we will be learning about the six days of creation, science related to pyramids, and ancient Greek science.

For Art we will be doing some art lessons that include Egyptian and Greek themes, and the Music includes the baroque (and I don't mean broke, well, actually I can't say that for certain) composers Vivaldi, Bach, and Handel. 

Well, there you have it.  Maybe someday I'll post my schedule so you all can see it.  As for now I'm going to go make sure my girls are getting their chores done!  Yep, first day of school and home ec is an essential!


No comments: